lovelybookshelf

Juliette Gordon Low: The Remarkable Founder of the Girl Scouts
Stacy A. Cordery
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel
Here I Am - Patti Kim, Sonia Snchez Originally posted on my blog, A Lovely Bookshelf on the Wall:

I opened Here I Am on my e-reader and, because I didn't read the synopsis closely enough, I was surprised to find that the story is told completely in pictures. There is no text whatsoever!

And it moved me to tears. The concept of portraying a child's experience of moving to a foreign land is brilliantly executed. I think my favorite part is how the signs around him - in town, in school - are complete gibberish at first, and slowly become more clear as time passes.

The artwork is just stunning. It captures every feeling and new experience perfectly: lonely, overwhelmed, excited, curious, happy. The sights and smells and even motion felt so real when looking at these pages! Sanchez is a truly gifted illustrator.

I remember feeling many of the same emotions as the boy in this story when my family moved to Italy when I was a kid. Here I Am is an encouraging book for children of immigrants, expats, or even members of the military, whether the family is moving to the United States or leaving it to live somewhere overseas.

I encourage you to watch the beautiful book trailer and see for yourself.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I did not receive any other compensation for this review.