lovelybookshelf

Juliette Gordon Low: The Remarkable Founder of the Girl Scouts
Stacy A. Cordery
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel
The Humans - Matt Haig While reading The Humans, I'm sure I'm not the only one who was reminded of the television series 3rd Rock from the Sun, and at one point, of the ST:TNG episode Encounter at Farpoint. There's a bit of The Doctor in our alien protagonist as well. But don't be fooled into thinking this novel is a knock-off: the execution is fabulously unique. Matt Haig takes us on a brilliant and imaginative journey through the human experience, the best and the worst.

With short, easy-to-devour chapters bearing titles such as Detached Nouns and Other Early Trials for the Language Learner and The Melancholy Beauty of the Setting Sun, I raced through this book. I could not wait to read more, but I didn't want to miss a thing.

And may I just say, I am completely jealous that the Vonnadorians can consume books in capsule form! Seriously?!

I can't rave about this book enough. It's thoughtful. Wise. Funny. Tender. Uplifting. Thrilling (there was an awesome unexpected twist!). I was hanging on every word, each moment for its own reason, all the way to the very end. The Humans swept me away; it is by far my new favorite read of 2013.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I did not receive any other compensation for this review.