lovelybookshelf

Juliette Gordon Low: The Remarkable Founder of the Girl Scouts
Stacy A. Cordery
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running
Haruki Murakami, Philip Gabriel
The Simple Flute: From A to Z - Michel Debost, Jeanne Debost-Roth I'm a professional flutist and flute teacher. The Simple Flute: From A to Z by Michel Debost is a staple in my studio, but one that I should have purchased years before I finally did. I thought I'd review this title because the flute is such a common instrument. Even if you don't play, I'd be willing to bet that many of you know someone who does. This book is an outstanding resource, one every dedicated flutist should own.

Debost organized the book alphabetically by topic. Take a look inside and view the table of contents and index. You can see that any flute-related issue you may have, from breathing to the delicate release of notes, from fundamental tone production to avant-garde techniques, is addressed somewhere in the book.

Debost's humor shines through often, which keeps the reading enjoyable. He explains each topic clearly, offering practical advice, common sense, and sample practice exercises.

The Simple Flute is a treasure. I wouldn't recommend it to younger students just starting out unless they already have knowledge of basic music terminology and are reading on at least a high school level. But it is certainly a must-have for serious high school flutists, college flute majors, flute teachers, and amateur and professional players alike.